Unwanted Visitor

Unwanted Visitor
Available on Kindle

Thursday 27 January 2011

Is it relevant?

I still haven't heard anything from the competitions I entered, oh well.  I'll find some more.  I've been too busy to write much this week, I just seem to be running from pillar to post and haven't had time to sit down and really think about what to write.  I have dusted off another novel I began a while back.  It's true when they say you should put your work away then look at it with fresh eyes.  I'm not sure if it's because I have learnt more or because I've had a break away from it, but I could see straight away that it has promise but needed urgent revamping.
     I did well with the weight loss this week, another three lb off.  I've still got a long way to go but I'm beginning to belive that I won't look too bad when number 2 son ties the knot.
     Going completely off the subject, I read a report in the Daily Mail about a terrible fire that has killed 4 children in Manchester.  One thing about the report bothered me.  It mentioned that the children are believed to have been fathered by at least two men.  Why did the paper feel the need to print that?  The only reason I can think of is to invite the reader to judge the woman.  How is this relevant to this tragedy? The woman was said to be a good, loving mother who did not claim benefits, in fact she runs two hairdressers.  This was not a report on the breakdown of families, not a report on state spongers or even a report on feckless single girls having babies; this was a report on a tragedy that destroyed a family and the mother's domestic details are no-one's business.  I feel quite cross about it.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment